Natural Resources Project Director
ECONorthwest is an economics consulting firm headquartered in Portland, Oregon, with offices in Seattle, Bend, Boise, Eugene, and Los Angeles. The firm has a 45-year history of economic policy analysis supporting public decision-making related to urban development, social and educational policies, and natural resources.
ECONorthwest has an immediate opening for a full-time Project Director in our Natural Resources Practice Area. This person will be a key senior contributor to the firm. They will initiate and direct project work, provide quality control, track and maintain project profitability, collaborate on business development efforts across topics/tools, and mentor junior consultants. More information about the environmental and natural resources practice area at ECONorthwest is available at: https://econw.com/natural-resources.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced professional with a track record of academic and professional success, including performing the role of leading projects and staff to answer economic questions related to natural resources and the environment. Previous consulting, industry, or government experience, including managing clients, working with diverse stakeholders, and cultivating the professional growth of junior staff are highly desirable qualities of a successful candidate.
The core competencies needed for this role include communication, self-direction, team coordination, and expertise in economic data and methods. ECONorthwest provides a strong peer community of economists, planners, and policy analysts that serve as collaborators to help new Project Directors develop their professional careers. Typical work includes evaluating benefits, costs, risks, and tradeoffs of resource management decisions for state and federal agencies, such as the U.S. Forest Service, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and state-level equivalents. Projects include advising executives and/or agency leadership on key policy objectives, or funding and financing decisions. This generally happens as part of larger interdisciplinary teams involving partners from other organizations, including scientists and engineers.
ECONorthwest is committed to the work of improving its diversity and inclusiveness as a workplace. Our best work draws on teams within and beyond ECONorthwest who have diverse backgrounds and experiences that reflect the communities we work with. Thus, we actively seek applicants who would expand the diversity of lived experiences within our team.
- Ph.D. or master’s degree in an economics-related field (particularly environmental/resource-related)
- Minimum of five years of applied research experience with demonstrated growth in leading projects with complex resource management questions (increased experience and leadership is expected for masters applicants)
- Experience directing internal teams, serving as a mentor, and supporting more junior staff
- Public speaking skills, networking skills, and the ability to represent the firm in public with integrity and business acumen
- Experience developing and maintaining client relationships in the public or private sectors
- Specific interest and experience in economic analysis of environmental and natural resource policy issues associated with specific topic areas, such as:
- climate change
- renewable energy
- water resources
- natural resource damages
- Applied experience with economic analyses of environmental regulations or procedural statutes (e.g., Clean Water Act, Clean Air Act, National Environmental Policy Act, Endangered Species Act, etc.)
- Experience with quantitative and empirical economic and econometric methods and other relevant qualitative, quantitative, and statistical methods and associated analytical tools
- Expertise in market and non-market valuation techniques
- Expertise in other tools and concepts of environmental economics including discounting, risk and uncertainty, demand modeling, pricing, etc.
Other Desirable Qualifications
- Applied experience using Stata, R, Python or similar statistical analysis program for regressions and data visualization
- Experience completing socioeconomic studies to fulfill NEPA requirements
- Experience with spatial analysis and associated GIS tools including ESRI-based or QGIS
- Knowledge of survey and sampling design, analysis, and communication
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of the theories and principles of environmental equity, especially as they relate to the impacts on minority and/or lower-income groups and communities
- Familiarity with public data sources (e.g., U.S. Census Data, USDA agricultural statistics, population forecasts, QCEW data, etc.)
- Familiarity with input-output modeling and associated software (e.g., IMPLAN, REMI)
The position will be full-time and will be located in either our Portland, Bend, Seattle, Los Angeles, or Boise office. Due to the ongoing pandemic, we anticipate that the selected candidate would likely start as a remote employee but would be expected to transition to working from an ECONorthwest office once normal office operations resume (potentially with a hybrid work from home and office schedule).
Available locations: Portland, OR; Bend, OR; Seattle, WA; Los Angeles, CA and Boise, ID.
Salary and Benefits
The salary for this full-time exempt position is $105,000 to $127,000 per year, depending on candidate experience and commensurate with market rates. This position is eligible for full company benefits including medical/dental/vision/life/disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401(k), and paid holidays. The position also is also eligible for quarterly production bonuses and year end profit sharing.
Open until filled, with an expectation that we will hold interviews starting the week of November 8, 2020.
Required Application Materials
Please submit all materials in PDF format. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns about these requirements.
- Cover Letter: Please address in the cover letter how your lived and professional experiences can help ECONorthwest deliver high quality products to our clients.
About ECONorthwest: Established in 1974, ECONorthwest has over three decades of experience helping clients make sound decisions based on rigorous economic, planning and financial analysis. ECONorthwest provides professional economics, planning, and financial consulting services and expert testimony for a wide variety of private and public sector clients throughout the United States and worldwide. For more information, visit: http://www.econw.com
ECONorthwest is not a sponsoring organization. ECONorthwest is an Equal Opportunity Employer.